Celtic Women: Title Dream Alive

Celtic Women produced a spirited performance against Glasgow City at Petershill Park to keep their Title dream alive going into the final 7 games of the season.  The Hoops emerged victorious from a 6-goal thriller to inflict a first defeat of the season on City and cut their lead at the top of the table to 5 points.

Going into the game 8 points adrift, Fran Alonso and the Ghirls new that nothing less than 3 points would keep Celtic’s title dream alive.  That hosts Glasgow City had yet to lose a game this season and had conceded only 7 goals in 24 games, made the task all the more daunting.

Unperturbed by the size of the task facing them, Celtic looked to impose their regular attacking style on the game but found City a tough nut to crack in the early exchanges.

Celtic’s attacking endeavours were rewarded after a quarter of an hour as Natalie Ross broke the deadlock.  Jacynta picked up a long clearance from Chloe Craig before picking out the late of Ross who cooly slotted past Gibson to give Celtic the lead.

The goal provided as much of a psychological boost to Celtic as anything else as the Ghirls immediately grew in confidence and belief.

Jacynta was in lively form and posed a constant threat to the City defence and came close to doubling Celtic’s advantage before Tash Flint did managed to do just that after the half hour mark.  The on-loan forward showing excellent composure to dink a shot over the advancing City keeper to bolster Celtic’s advantage.

As was to be expected, City upped the tempo after the break as they looked to preserve their unbeaten record.  Priscilla Chinchilla forcing Tajonar into action on more than once occasion before finally getting the better of Celtic’s Mexican keeper to City hope.

While the home support were expecting to see their side make a comeback, Celtic had other ideas and immediately went on the offensive.  Shen Menglu was fouled inside the area however Craig saw her penalty well saved by Gibson.

Shortly after, Celtic were celebrating again as Caitlin Hayes restored the Ghirls two-goal advantage, providing a now trademark headed goal from a corner.

With 25 minutes to play Tash Flint sent the Hoops into raptures, adding a second goal to extend Celtic’s lead to 4-1.

Five minutes later, Hayley Lauder pulled one back for City, however, the skipper’s goal was to be the last of the game as Celtic saw out the final 20 minutes to record a vital victory.

Flint did miss out on hat-trick as she followed Craig in seeing a late penalty saved by Gibson, the award coming after Kit Loferski was fouled in the box.

Fortunately, neither miss mattered as the three points were wrestled away from Petershill Park and the gap at the top cut to 5 points.

Celtic are still reliant on winning all remaining games and need Glasgow City to drop points elsewhere, but there is now renewed belief in the squad and the title dream is very much still alive.

Hearts are up next on Wednesday before a re-match with Glasgow City in the Scottish Cup next weekend.

Leave a Reply